Hernia is basically a protrusion of an organ or its tissue from the covering that protects it. Muscle weakening is the main factor that causes the protrusion to occur. Hernias are common and can affect an individual at any age.
There are several types of hernia and majority of them occur in the abdomen.
- Inguinal hernia is the most common type that occurs in the groin region.
- Umbilical hernias occur around the belly region.
- Incision hernia occurs through a scar only in areas that has undergone surgery.
- Hiatal hernia occurs due to a small opening in the diaphragm.
- Congenital diaphragmatic as the name suggests is a birth defect and can be treated only through surgery.
- Paraesophageal hernias are rare but can get life threatening as in certain cases the entire stomach can slip into the chest cavity.
can occur due to various factors such as lifting of weights without precaution, constipation that causes exertion of pressure during stool passing. There are cases wherein individuals are born with weak abdominal muscles that cause hernias to occur.
The following diagnostic procedures are used for detecting hernias.
- Physical examination:Often a preliminary physical examination is self sufficient for diagnosing hernia. In many cases, the hernias are externally visible and can be felt with minimum pressure of hand.
- Ultrasound:This is required for diagnosing femoral hernias.
- X – Rays:X – rays may be done for detecting any kind of bowel obstruction caused by abdominal hernias.
depends on its type and location. In majority of the cases it is treated with surgery, while some heal by themselves with the help of medications. Over the counter medications are prescribed for providing the relief from pain caused due to hernia. In many cases, doctors may even push back the hernia and keep it in place with the help of truss until surgery is performed. The German doctors would help you decide the right kind of treatment for the type of hernia you are suffering from.
Surgery is required to prevent the hernias to get strangulated and prevent obstruction of blood supply and oxygen to the organ. Strangulated hernia if not treated in time can cause infection, intestinal perforation and death of the organ.
Germany is one of the finest and is world renowned for treatment of hernia. If you are searching out for the best options to get operated for hernia then Germany is the destination for getting treated. There you get world class doctors and the hospitals are well equipped with the latest and ultra modern technologies to carry out surgeries. With experienced surgeons carrying out the surgery it is almost impossible for the hernias to come back and cause menace. Treatment of hernia in Germany is done by top class surgeons who have hands on expertise in dealing with various cases of hernia. It is not just about surgery, but German doctors shall also prescribe medications in cases when surgery is not required.
Surgery performed to repair the hernia is known as herniorrhaphy and is performed under local anaesthesia. In this method, the hernia is repaired by pushing it back and healing the muscle weakness of that area. This method requires a long cut in the groin, which causes great discomfort in that region post operation.
For treating inguinal hernia, the Lichtenstein operation is performed which has due to its advantages become the golden standard in open – tension free hernioplasties. This is performed under local anaesthesia and has no risk associated with it.
Minimal invasive surgery using laparoscopy is the most common surgical procedures that are used currently. As compared to major surgeries, minimal invasive surgeries require less recovery time. Post operative complications of major surgery include groin pain that makes life uncomfortable to a certain extent.
Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair is performed by any one of the following methods:
- TEP – Totally Extra Peritoneal (TEP)Totally Extra Peritoneal repair method is carried out in the external region of the peritoneum and the hernia is treated with a piece of mesh that is placed behind the muscles of the abdominal wall. With this method, individuals can return back to normal routine within few days and there is less post operative pain as compared to open surgery.
- TAPP (Transabdominal peritoneal repair)This method is performed under general anaesthesia and is used in patients with recurrent inguinal hernias. Incisions are made in the abdominal cavity to reach the peritoneum. Thereafter, a mesh is placed with the help of TEP technique and the surgery completed.
- IPOM (Intra peritoneum onlay mesh)In this method dual mesh is placed abdominally and the peritoneum is not touched at all. The mesh is fixed with very small incisions in the abdomen.
Of these, TEP and TAPP are the most common methods used for repairing inguinal hernias. If hernias are detected at an early stage then strangulation can be prevented and with appropriate treatment its recurrence too can be avoided.
With our continuous presence in the field of providing medical assistance services and a large information on medical treatment facilities in Germany, we will always be able to help you choose a medical facility centre that offers the best treatment for hernia.